oceansedge: (Paris)
[personal profile] oceansedge
I've been feeling restless...

I like *love* traveling. There is a bit of a wandering spirit in me, there are a 1000 places I'd love to see/experience before I leave this particular life. There is an adventurer in me, in spirit as well as physically.

I recall a friend once doing a tarot reading for me which described me as an adventurer looking for a safe place. That paradox is me (yeah I'm just fulla contradictions). My life in many ways has been an adventure, or at least it's never been boring. Of course a lot of those adventures I could have happily done without. So it is that I've spent most of my life seeking a safe place. I want a HOME. A place I can safely hide from the rest of the world, curl up and lick my wounds from doing battle that is LIFE. Roots, a place that is mine, a place to come home to is a critical spiritual necessity to me. Still, the call of the open road, the burning desire to fill my senses with new sights and sounds and ideas and... yeah I am a sensual slut. *grins*

It is a brotherhood of spirit in these desires that is a large part of what bonds James and I. Both aspects are such critical parts of our souls, that having found another to share in this essential life element that was a large part of what brought us together.

I got used to in my last job, having two months of vacation time a year, and using them, and my generous travel benefits, to at least get away from home for a bit. Sometimes it wasn't necessarily far - a couple weeks on Vancouver Island; sometimes it was the other side of the world - Christmas in the land down under.

The almost four months that James was in Canada last summer was a flurry of activity and travel. From the moment he arrived in June, (off to a certain West Virginia wedding), to Toronto for the wedding, to our honeymoon in Ireland, to Atlanta for DragonCon, to moving to Newfoundland 2 days before he left, we were pretty much always on the go somewhere. By the time the summer was out I was ready to collapse and just 'sit' for a bit. The heavy Newfoundland winter encouraged that nesting.

Alas now, summer has come. It's mid July, and my feet are getting itchy, the house feels confining and claustrophobic, I need a new adventure. However, I haven't yet figured out our crazy vacation time - which isn't nearly as generous as it was at Calm Air, the travel benefits while nice aren't nearly so lucrative, and I don't really have any money to go anywhere anyway.

That's ok I'll sit this one out.

Still the siren call of exotic ports of call sounds in my brain, and I find myself mentally hoping/planning for a long weekend in Paris - it'd be a lovely surprise for our second anniversary - although at the rate I've been hinting at it, it really wouldn't be much of a surprise. LOL. It'd still be wonderful. We had planned to spend two weeks in England for a friend's wedding in October, but circumstances have changed, so that trip is on hold for a while. I find myself musing over our original plan to have two wedding receptions, one in Toronto and one in Brisbane at Christmas time - well the Christmas trip didn't happen, and I strongly suspect that it probably won't happen this Christmas either. If James gets here before Christmas it'll probably be a bit soon to be planning on traveling back, and if he doesn't get here before Christmas I just can't really see any way I could afford the trip, either time or money wise. Still one day, I still want to have that party - even if it IS a bit silly now, and a mini honeymoon afterwards. James talked very early on in our relationship about wanting to show me Fraser Island, so far we haven't had the opportunity to do that, so that was one possibility. The other one, and for me I think for a weekend honeymoon retreat thingy it appeals just a hair more than Fraser Island, is the Isa Pearl Whitsunday Cruise. Neither James nor I are terribly enamoured of the usual sort of cruising - luxury ocean liner floating hotels, but the Isa Pearl is a traditional small wooden sailing ship an old Japanese pearling boat. She only sleeps 8, and the slow pace of a sailing cruise is just so relaxed and decompressing. And a wooden sailing ship? Well now THAT'S romantic. (hey and I can teach them all the old Newfie sailing songs *snicker*)

So while my body may be stuck at home, my mind is wandering. Hoping, planning, dreaming over the trips that are yet to come. Of course there are a 1000 other trips, places, ideas in my head, Egypt, the Galapagos, Mexico, Scotland, England, Africa, Portugal, Santiago, Spain, North Africa, Greece, Turkey, Mongolia, ... But for now, these are the ones my brain is fixating on, stay tuned, the channel will probably change next week.

(no subject)

Date: 2007-07-18 12:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] miintikwa.livejournal.com
Come to Florida!

OK, I know, that's totally silly.

I'm just in a people mood lately, for some odd reason.

(no subject)

Date: 2007-07-18 06:43 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] oceansedge.livejournal.com
Florida would be lovely. I couldn't get there though. The problem is lack of time and funds, not places to go or people to see. *sigh*

I so know what you mean...

Date: 2007-07-18 06:17 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] torakiyoshi.livejournal.com
There are times when I feel like a tiger in a cage-- which is a big part of why I chose my phenotype.

Can you get to Spokane by Saturday (http://grant.rkirkpat.net/trip.html)? A third traveller would be welcome.

Have the best

-=TK

Re: I so know what you mean...

Date: 2007-07-18 06:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] oceansedge.livejournal.com
The problem alas is not a shortage of places to go... got lots of those, but there where with all to get there.

I appreciate the offer though.

Re: I so know what you mean...

Date: 2007-07-18 06:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] torakiyoshi.livejournal.com
*nodnods* This trip is the fulfilment of more than one dream, and is my first significant road trip. 4000 Miles!

Have the best

-=TK

(no subject)

Date: 2007-07-18 06:56 am (UTC)
ext_74: Baron Samadai in cat form (Default)
From: [identity profile] siliconshaman.livejournal.com
"
an adventurer looking for a safe place.
"

Stick a wanna-be in front of that, and that's me. I've traveled a little, enough to know that I enjoy it, but like you I need a safe space to come back to. But there-in lies my problem, my safe place ain't so safe nowadays, and I'm too f**king broke to travel.

Thus, I'm caught in an uncomfortable restless limbo.

Which is pretty much behind the whole Geektopia thing I've got going.

So, I sympathize with you, but I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid. There are cheap ways to travel [courier runs for example] but I don't doubt you've thought of those.

(no subject)

Date: 2007-07-18 07:01 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] acelightning.livejournal.com
my first trip to Australia was a courier run; i was restricted to one carry-on bag for luggage on the trip out, although there were no restrictions on the trip back. (i bought a lot of clothes on sale, and a cheap duffel bag, while in Australia - the currency exchange rate was very good for me at the time.)

my second trip to Australia six months later, was a normal commercial flight. the airfare was cheaper than the courier flight had been. go figure.


(no subject)

Date: 2007-07-18 07:10 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] acelightning.livejournal.com
come to New York! you can drive, or take a train. and i love showing people around the city ;-D

Profile

oceansedge: (Default)
oceansedge

May 2017

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21 222324252627
28293031   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags