oceansedge: (Angry)
[personal profile] oceansedge
THIS.
This is why I finally got off my arse and joined the Liberal party. This is why I finally have some hope for politics in this country again. This is why I have always been a Liberal supporter. Because of his father. Because of Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

There was a time in politics of men, men of belief, men of conviction. There is no question that Pierre Trudeau was a political force, but he was never a politician - he was a man who did what he believed to be right, not what was necessarily popular, and it was never about power accept as it applied to furthering his committed convictions. Love him or hate him... Trudeau was a man of ideals.

I've oft feared that perhaps Justin was too young, too inexperienced to handle the leadership of the party and the country. However, he grew up, bottle fed on his father's commitment to his ideals. And in this statement, I hear the echoes of, "Just watch me." A belief in doing the *right* thing, not necessarily the politic thing.

Yes, senate reform has been politic for the last decade, as scandal after scandal allowed the Conservatives to make it an election issue and win as an election issue. Is Trudeau using that in the run up to a 2015 election? Of course he is. But I also believe that he is committed to change, committed to doing the right thing, and committed to seeing it through. I don't smell hollow election promises here. I smell idealism, commitment, and the strength of character his father had. I see a man ready to roll up his sleeves and get to work. I hear the words of controlled anger directing action.... "Ok, let's get stuck in and clean up this mess!"


I don't often get political, I haven't seen much to give me hope that being political would fix anything. Over the coming year and a half you'll see me post more on government, policy, and election issues. I believe we are once again at one of the most important points in Canadian politics a turning point, and I believe we need to head in the right direction. I believe this is such an important time, for our future, you'll hear me speak to this issues and ideals over the coming months.

Originally posted to: The Plan® comment there or here

Profile

oceansedge: (Default)
oceansedge

May 2017

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21 222324252627
28293031   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags