50% of the world's beers are brewed by six conglomerates. It just keeps getting more and more homologous.
Fortunately, the nice thing about beer becoming more and more, dare I say it, 'hipster' is that one can now get craft brews, small local brewery, micro-brewery and artisan beers far more easily. No longer confined to certain areas around Berkeley, craft and artisan beverages can be found pretty much anywhere and everywhere. Their popularity has even convinced the 'Big Boys' to start trying to crack the artisan markets. I have mixed feelings about this. I am really not terribly thrilled about smaller localized breweries being bought out by the larger conglomerates, although I can understand why and how a small brewer might do so. After all, there will always be a new, inspired craft brewer willing to come along and fill the vacuum and perhaps it will lead to more and better choices from the mass market breweries. However, I suspect not. Or at least not the artisan beers one might want. Smaller breweries can afford to cater to niche markets of particular flavour profiles, mass market brewers need to appeal to much wider markets and one ends up with that same mass production middle of the road, limited selection, of flavours.
Brewing is an art. I like art. Support local artisans. And maybe find a brew worth paying $5 / bottle for

Originally posted to: The Plan® comment there or here
Fortunately, the nice thing about beer becoming more and more, dare I say it, 'hipster' is that one can now get craft brews, small local brewery, micro-brewery and artisan beers far more easily. No longer confined to certain areas around Berkeley, craft and artisan beverages can be found pretty much anywhere and everywhere. Their popularity has even convinced the 'Big Boys' to start trying to crack the artisan markets. I have mixed feelings about this. I am really not terribly thrilled about smaller localized breweries being bought out by the larger conglomerates, although I can understand why and how a small brewer might do so. After all, there will always be a new, inspired craft brewer willing to come along and fill the vacuum and perhaps it will lead to more and better choices from the mass market breweries. However, I suspect not. Or at least not the artisan beers one might want. Smaller breweries can afford to cater to niche markets of particular flavour profiles, mass market brewers need to appeal to much wider markets and one ends up with that same mass production middle of the road, limited selection, of flavours.
Brewing is an art. I like art. Support local artisans. And maybe find a brew worth paying $5 / bottle for

Originally posted to: The Plan® comment there or here
